Construction began construction in Estes Park, Colorado, in 1906 on land Stanley brought from Lord Dunraven, the hotel opened in 1909 and originally consisted of 11 buildings, the owner Stanley and his wife Flora had their home built nearby. They also had a hydroelectric plant built so that their hotel could be all electric.In 1903, F. O. Stanley, inventor of the Stanley Steamer automobile, came to Estes Park for his health. Stanley suffering from tuberculosis and came West at his doctor's suggestion. The doctor arranged for the couple to stay in a cabin in Estes Park for the summer. Immediately, they fell in love with the area and Stanley's health began to dramatically improve. Impressed by the beauty of the valley and grateful for the improvement in his health, he decided to invest his money and his future there.In 1906, construction started on the Stanley Hotel. Wood and rock were obtained from the nearby mountains and the hotel was built in the Georgian architectural style, which experienced a revival in the early Twentieth Century. Equipped with running water, electricity, and telephones, the only amenity the hotel lacked was heat, as the hotel was designed as a summer resort.In 1909, he opened the elegant Stanley Hotel, a classic hostelry exemplifying the golden age of touring.After spending the summer in a cabin, Flora wanted a home like the one she had left in Maine. Their home was built about one-half mile west of where the Stanley Hotel would later be built. Today the house is a privately owned residence.Stanley built the hotel on land that he purchased from the English Earl Lord Dunraven. Dunraven came to the area in 1872 while on a hunting trip. He built a hunting lodge, cabin, and hotel for his guests and illegally homesteaded up to 15,000 acres in an unsuccessful attempt to create a private hunting preserve. Dunraven, was finally run out of the area after trying to swindle folks out of their land and money.The Stanley hotel is known to have had many celebrity visitors throughout its years; one was Stephen King who is known to have written part of his book 'The Shining' in room 217.Some of the many celebrated ghosts said to roam the halls here are Mrs. Stanley herself, mainly in the music room where you may hear the piano play, Mr. Stanley in his favourite billiard room, and on the fourth floor the sound of children playing in the halls is common place, and many guests have called down regarding the noise.Certain guest rooms have a history of frequent supernatural activity. Room 418, in particular, has been an area frequented by several child ghosts that have been heard laughing and playing, most frequently just outside of the door. Guests have complained of children playing in the hallway late at night while others have reported impressions on the bed and noises in the room. Stephen King had his own run in with a child ghost – including a little boy calling for his nanny.Room 407 allegedly houses another spirit who likes to turn the lights on and off, sometimes turning them back on at the request of the person staying in the room. Noises are also reported within the room and outside the door. A face is sometimes seen in the window of this room, viewable from the outside. Although the fourth floor seems to be the most active area, footsteps are heard all throughout the building and sightings of various apparitions have been witnessed in many other areas.Room 1302 in the manor has been difficult for housekeeping, as they often make up the room only to come back later and find it a mess again. The windows on the second floor of the manor apparently go up and down on their own. Footsteps can be heard in the concert hall, where a homeless woman who had sought refuge in the basement froze to death one winter. There is also reportedly also a girl named Katie who haunts the boiler room and downstairs employee passage.